With my oldest daughter, Lyric, I had packed my hospital bag THREE TIMES (which overflowed to being two bags) before my mom decided to help. If she would’ve never seen what I had packed I may have ended up taking ALL of the babies things with me to the hospital; that’s how much I was overthinking it.
With my son, Legend, it was a little easier since I had done it once before, but as always, I was nervous about not having everything I needed while in the hospital after giving birth. It was much easier with my third baby, Lei’Lani, since I had used Google search to skim through various sites before packing for my stay in the hospital.
So, to make things easier for you while packing your hospital bag, I’ve made a list of essentials for your hospital stay.
- Comfortable pajamas: If you plan to breastfeed (even if you aren’t) I’d suggest this comfy gown (https://amzn.to/3l52rCo)
- Cozy slippers: keep those feet warm but if you prefer socks over slippers, here are some that are not only cute but comfy as well (https://amzn.to/3a1VsDD)
- Shower gel, deodorant, lotion
- Tooth brush & toothpaste
- Comb, brush, etc.
- Postpartum underwear: I loved Always Discreet
- Perineal bottle
- Chargers for your electronics
- A good book to read!
There’s really no need to pack much for your baby because a lot of things like diapers, wipes & burp cloths, will already be in your hospital room provided by the hospital. You also may not be there for longer than two days, unless there were complications during or after labor that requires longer care.
If you’re still wondering what items are good to pack for baby here’s a list:
- Outfit for first pictures (some hospitals, not all, do this)
- 2 onesies
- 2 hats w/ mittens (don’t want baby scratching that beautiful face)
- 1 burp cloth
- Diapers & wipes (if you prefer a brand other than what the hospital provides)
- Car Seat: save time and money with a grow & go car seat that transitions from newborn to toddler use (https://amzn.to/2Yj70jK).
If you are in the beginning of your pregnancy and looking for a pregnancy journal, you can purchase my ‘Bump to Baby’ Pregnancy Journal. It has a fillable birth plan, hospital bag checklist & more. If you want to enhance your pregnancy and labor experience, check out my ‘Bump to Baby’ Affirmation Cards!
I hope this post has helped you in preparing to bring a new, beautiful life into the world! Congratulations to you & your growing family!